Monday 27 August 2012

Crabbing

You may think I'm making fun with you, but I don't. Catching crabs is serious business in England, a pastime I've never seen in any other country I've been. I tried to look up the german word for crabbing but, there ain't even a translation for it :)
What you need is a bait bag or a ringnet, the bait itself and a bucket for your crabs. In former times the people walked along the shore looking under the stones for the crabs. Or they used bread or a piece of makerel as bait, but even the crabs has become gourmets. Nowadays the mostly used bait is - no wonder, we are in England - bacon. And as I learned yesterday, the trickiest bait is bacon with a drop of fishsauce. I saw the results, five crabs in one net, incredible!
So, go to your next harbour, take you some time and do some crabbing, you will for sure have a lot of fun for the next hours. But, one thing, don't eat them, just throw them into the water again after your bucket has gone full. Then you'll be able to catch the same crabs the next day again :)

2 comments:

  1. Nice story :) ... but I expected more of a receipt at the end as there are many crabs where I live. - They are REALLY throwing them all back into the water??

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, they throw them back. They at least must be 3-4 times bigger until you can eat them :)

    ReplyDelete