Friday 28 June 2013

From Barrow upon Trent to Fradley Junction

Another sunny day, I am early up, only the fishermen are earlier on the canal and gives me a friendly good morning.
Before reaching Burton upon Trent I had the chance to visit Claymills Pumping Engines (this nice Victorian Steam Pumping Engines will get a post of its own).
Afterwards I skipped visiting the brewing museum in Burton upon Trent as I was invited to tea and cake in the marina. About eight o´clock I reached the very nice waterscape around the small village Arlewas and its lock. Half an hour later I sat down for a pint of lager, a sandwich, and a nice chat with a couple in the pub at Fradley Junction, where the Coventry Canal meets the Trent & Mersey Canal. Just right in time before it got dark I put up my tent in the fields close to the junction.




Shardlow Heritage Center and Boat Yard



This pond lies between the Trent & Mersey Canal and the railway line. When the railway was built in the 19th century ballast was needed for its construction and this was dug out of suitable sites beside of the railway lines. Many of the holes filled up with water and developed into ponds.







No comments:

Post a Comment