Tuesday 16 July 2013

From Wheaton Aston to Wolverhampton

After some cups of tea and breakfast I finally left Alex and went further on, it was another very hot day, so I was quite happy to reach Wolverhampton in the afternoon from where I took the train back to Nottingham for some days of rest in the shade.





The old Roman road of Watling Street, the A5 is crossed by the canal through the Stretton Aqueduct. It is a sturdy iron, brick and stone aqueduct built in 1832.

Underneath the M54 boat painters has left their traces.




Finally I arrived Autherly Stop Lock, it is the first (for me the last) Lock on the Shropshire Union Canal. The Staffordshire and Worcestershire Canal Company insisted upon a stop lock at this point in the canal to prevent the new Birmingham and Liverpool Junction Canal stealing water from the older Staffordshire and and Worcestershire Canal. The lock has a fall of only 15 cm.



No comments:

Post a Comment